Manager, Technical Operations
About the Job
This position is responsible for providing strategic leadership, motivation, and direction to improve and continue providing outstanding customer service. Manages the daily activities of all Technical Operations personnel through leading Technical Operations Supervisors, individual contributors and/or a combination of both to achieve optimal business objectives for a specific geographic area. Reviews short-term perspective for professional content and against objectives, budgets, schedules and quality levels. Translates approved objectives into work plans and procedures. Enforces policies and recommends adjustments. Negotiates with senior management for resources and priorities that affect functions and to gain cooperation for resources that directly affect areas of accountability. Selects, motivates, and reviews performance of staff. Appraises job performance, implements discipline, sets work schedules, monitors performance, maintains morale, builds teamwork, resolves employee problems, meets goals, recommends employment status changes, and maintains all related personnel and administrative files and records.
- Directing technical and financial performance of the specific geographic area through implementing processes and procedures to support the areas performance, and coordinating interdepartmental activity to maximize efficiencies between departments.
- Responsible for managing through a staff of technical supervisors who supervise the day to day activities of technicians and installers on issues surrounding work done on customer premises for the specific geographic area within an area of operation. Training and developing field supervisors to enhance management and leadership skills
- Responsible for implementation, delivery and attainment of metrics such as reduction in repeat truck rolls, reducing backlog, increased completion rates, increased DCT retrieval rates, increased response time, reducing amount of missed appointments, increased completed work orders within predetermined time period, etc.
- Uses business objectives to write, review and maintain procedures for Technical Operations for technical training, safety training and reporting.
-Interprets and implements departmental policies on a consistent basis and recommends enhancements to Technical Operations Director.
- Responsible for implementing and tracking safety and technical training programs for Technicians and Installers.
- Travels throughout the California market for meetings, training classes and work site inspections
- Functions as primary customer liaison between contract signing and cut-over of system.
- Makes software configuration requirements and necessary modifications.
- Accountable for the success and budgeted profitability of specific projects.
- Provides leadership and direction to Service & Installation departments in order to ensure compliance with FCC, state and federal regulations while maintaining budgetary requirements.
- Administers policies, procedures, and tracking in order to facilitate continuous improvement focused on Comcast "Think Customer First Standards."
- Promotes safety awareness (and OSHA regulations) with Associates in order to provide a work environment free from injury.
- Anticipates and resolves customer and community concerns quickly through effective leadership in order to promote Comcast as a good community citizen.
- Assists in cultivating relationships with contractors and assigning work to contractors to ensure sufficient manpower while meeting contract labor budget.
- Responsible for maintaining department budgets, completing reports on a timely basis, and monitoring and controlling expenses.
- Assists in hiring, coaching, developing, and preparing performance evaluations, giving feedback of Associates to ensure a quality work team.
- Oversees the development and deployment of staff and approves performance reviews.
- Enhance and enrich Associates' technical knowledge and skill levels to ensure excellence with respect to service reliability and picture quality.
- Collects, analyzes, and summarizes information and trends to prepare reports.
- Oversees complex or major installations of systems equipment.-Coordinates orders and deliveries with other vendors during the system implementation phase.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary
- Bachelors Degree or Equivalent
- Other Professional Certification
- Generally requires 6-9 years related experience
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED
- Must possess Technical field experience and at least 2 years of Supervisory experience in Cable Television, Telecommunications or related fields.
- 3-5 years of Management experience in Cable Television, Telecommunications or related fields preferred.
- Must have a valid California Driver's License with satisfactory driving record
- Must possess proficiency with computer applications specifically MS Office applications including Excel and Word.
- Must have knowledge of National Electric Code, Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) and related state and local codes.
- Must have good verbal and written communications skills with the ability conduct presentations in front of large groups.
- Requires good project and time management skills.
- Must have the ability to interact professionally with internal and external customers, interact with all levels of management and manage a staff (approximately 4-6 direct reports and 50-60 indirect reports) within a large geographic area.
- Must have the ability and willingness to travel throughout the California Market (including nights, weekends and holidays).
- Requires proficiency in the skills outlined in the company's Leadership Model of Excellence competencies.
- Must frequently to continuously sit in an office environment
- Must frequently walk and stand
- Must use standard office equipment, tools and materials
- Must frequently to continuously use a computer keyboard
- Must frequently lift up to 20 pounds with Portable Office equipment
- Must be able to have occasional exposure to excessive noise, extreme temperatures, dust, gas, fumes, chemicals, and heights when out in the field
- When out in field, may be required to wear hard hat, gloves, eye protection, and safety gloves