Sr Staff Scientist - Biomarker Research
About the Job
Reynolds American Incorporated is positively transforming the tobacco industry. We’re a family of companies that strives for success in everything we do. The future inspires us because our people are igniting the breakthroughs that are redefining the ways adult tobacco consumers enjoy tobacco in the 21st century.
When other companies talk about growth, they only talk about size. At RAI, we focus on the growth of our people. We take pride in each other’s growth and well-being throughout our careers. We invest in your career and total well-being because we know our companies succeed when our people thrive.
At the RAI companies you’ll have the opportunity to work on iconic brands and revolutionary products by collaborating with visionary, principled and passionate people every day.
This position is within Reynolds American Services Company—a subsidiary that provides support services, including compliance, HR, law, finance, information management, and more to all of the subsidiaries of RAI.
RAI Services Company is a wholly owned subsidiary of Reynolds American Inc. (RAI), which is a wholly owned subsidiary of British American Tobacco plc. The RAI companies manufacture several leading brands of diverse tobacco products ranging from cigarettes to oral tobacco products and electronic cigarettes, and nicotine replacement therapies.
RAI companies and people are committed to innovation and transformation of the tobacco industry for achieving, tobacco harm reduction, youth tobacco prevention and commercial integrity. .
Our employees are encouraged and expected to think and act boldly – and are rewarded for it. RAI companies offer a competitive salary and a generous benefits package.
A Senior Staff Scientist position is immediately available for highly motivated candidates with a background in Systems Biology and Bioinformatics. The successful candidate will contribute to the development of biomarkers and biological networks predictive of the effects of tobacco usage, and to the investigations of the mechanisms of smoking-related diseases. Our research utilizes diverse tools including transcriptomics, epigenomics, proteomics, metabolomics and pathway analyses.
Candidates must have a PhD degree and have experience in bioinformatics/ computational biology/toxicology or related areas of sciences.
The incumbent is expected to actively collaborate, plan and drive a research program. The chosen individual will have strong background in the broad area of bioinformatics and ability to build and utilize various bioinformatic tools. Prior experience in Omics research, bioinformatic analyses of diverse data sets, and integrating and interpreting those findings is required.
The successful candidate will be expected to work effectively collaborate with an interdisciplinary team of researchers, independently lead projects, be self-motivated, and have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
This position offers opportunities for exploring new research directions, developing collaborations, publishing research findings, mentoring young scientists and professional growth.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities include:
- Deliverables – Contribute to and design of research projects; develop tools to perform integrated analyses of internal and external data; identify biological pathways and perturbations; contribute to product development and regulatory submissions, as appropriate.
- Compliance - Ensure that all projects are conducted in compliance with applicable Company policies and applicable FDA and other government regulations/ guidelines.
- Lead – Contribute and lead collaborative teams comprised of internal staff and external vendors.
- Publishing - Contribute to the preparation and publication of scientific results in peer-reviewed scientific journals and present, as appropriate, at scientific meetings.
- Candidates must have a PhD in bioinformatics /biology/ computational biology / with 2-5 years of demonstrated expertise in bioinformatics and systems biology.
- Demonstrated skills in handling and modeling diverse sets of biological data generated from diverse technology platforms.
- Proven ability in developing and utilizing various bioinformatic tools in one or more Omic areas, such as transcriptomics, epigenomics, proteomics and metabolomics, as well as building custom, data driven pathways that incorporate information from clinical and other targeted assays.
- Working knowledge of bioinformatic databases, data mapping and integration tools, functional profiling and pathway analysis tools.
The Ideal Candidate will possess:
- Ability to drive collaborative efforts cross-functionally and externally stakeholders
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work and make decisions with minimal supervision, and to develop additional skills as necessary
- Ability to creatively contribute to key strategies at the department level
- Excellent project management, time management and collaboration skills
- Interpersonal skills of dependability, reliability, and credibility
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Targeted Annual Bonus
- Relocation assistance available for those who qualify.
Our company offers very competitive compensation and benefit plans, including:
- 401(k) plan that offers opportunity to save on pre- and post-tax basis up to 50 percent of eligible compensation. Company matches 100 percent of employee pre-tax/Roth (401k) contributions up to six percent
- Comprehensive health- and welfare-benefits package
- Eleven paid company holidays annually, plus a generous paid vacation plan based on length of service
- Company-paid sick and personal days, funeral leave and jury duty leave
- Confidential personal financial counseling service
- On-site health clinics and fitness centers
- A matching grants program that enables employees to direct and double their donations to qualifying charitable organizations of their choice
- Health-care advocacy service
- Volunteer service opportunities
- Federal credit union membership through Allegacy Federal Credit Union
- Extensive training opportunities
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION:
Reynolds American Inc. is an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of British American Tobacco p.l.c., and the U.S. parent company of R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company; Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company, Inc.; American Snuff Company, LLC; Niconovum USA, Inc.; Niconovum AB; R. J. Reynolds Vapor Company; Lorillard Licensing Company, LLC; and Reynolds Brands, Inc..
Reynolds American Inc. and its affiliated companies is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Our organization offers a level of challenge, responsibility and creativity for motivated employees that stands apart from the crowd.
We are also committed to employing a diverse workforce and valuing different perspectives, experiences and talents to maximize the company's potential for successfully achieving its business objectives.
Only applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact us directly.