Sr Staff Scientist Product Development - NTM
About the Job
Reynolds American Incorporated is positively transforming the tobacco industry. We’re a family of companies that strives for success in everything we do. The future inspires us because our people are igniting the breakthroughs that are redefining the ways adult tobacco consumers enjoy tobacco in the 21st century.
When other companies talk about growth, they only talk about size. At RAI, we focus on the growth of our people. We take pride in each other’s growth and well-being throughout our careers. We invest in your career and total well-being because we know our companies succeed when our people thrive.
At the RAI companies you’ll have the opportunity to work on iconic brands and revolutionary products by collaborating with visionary, principled and passionate people every day.
This position is with RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company—the second-largest U.S. tobacco company. The company's brands include Newport, Camel and Pall Mall.
The role will lead the development of new and innovative packaging that supports the objectives of R. J. Reynolds’ Growth, Innovation and Harm Reduction Platforms. The scientist is responsible for leading the development and commercialization of new materials, components and packaging structures for tobacco products, including cigarettes, vapor products and modern smoke free tobacco products.
The scientist must exhibit strong project management and technical skills. With minimal guidance the scientist will be expected to execute packaging development projects with changing priorities and demanding timelines. The individual must be a self-starter and possess excellent leadership and communication skills. He/she must possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish collaborative relationships. The individual must be able to lead a highly diverse, multi-functional project team to accomplish the goals. He/she must be capable of utilizing sound scientific principles to provide innovative solutions to complex problems. The individual will be expected to collaborate across numerous internal functions including Marketing, Procurement, Supply Chain, Engineering, Quality Assurance and Manufacturing, as well as external vendors, in order to deliver successful outcomes within specified timelines.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, develop, and implement packaging that deliver commercial and product requirements.
- Lead multiple projects under demanding timelines while maintaining appropriate and required project documentation.
- Work directly with Consumer Marketing to develop packaging solutions.
- Develop and provide prototypes.
- Collaborate cross functionally with various groups and suppliers to insure new packaging solutions and materials scale up for commercialization.
- Insure internal business and regulatory process compliance in development and implementation of projects.
- The scientist must possess the ability to become a subject matter expert on packaging and potentially communicate that knowledge with the FDA.
- Prepare data/information to support regulatory product submissions.
- Provide technical packaging support for commercialization.
- Develop, test and support materials and packaging design testing.
- Provide technical leadership for continuous improvement initiatives, including cost reduction efforts, manufacturing efficiencies and packaging related issues.
- Lead packaging development initiatives across numerous internal functions and external vendor.
- BS in a technical field such as Engineering, Packaging Technology or Materials Science.
- Minimum 3 years demonstrated experience in a Packaging Development, preferably at a Consumer Products company.
- Leadership and problem solving skills.
- Ability to manage numerous, simultaneous complex projects.
- Strong project management and team work skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written/oral communication and presentation skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software.
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Targeted Annual Bonus
- Relocation assistance available for those who qualify.
Our company offers very competitive compensation and benefit plans, including:
- 401(k) plan that offers opportunity to save on pre- and post-tax basis up to 50 percent of eligible compensation. Company matches 100 percent of employee pre-tax/Roth (401k) contributions up to six percent
- Comprehensive health- and welfare-benefits package
- Eleven paid company holidays annually, plus a generous paid vacation plan based on length of service
- Company-paid sick and personal days, funeral leave and jury duty leave
- Confidential personal financial counseling service
- On-site health clinics and fitness centers
- A matching grants program that enables employees to direct and double their donations to qualifying charitable organizations of their choice
- Health-care advocacy service
- Volunteer service opportunities
- Federal credit union membership through Allegacy Federal Credit Union
- Extensive training opportunities
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION:
Reynolds American Inc. is an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of British American Tobacco p.l.c., and the U.S. parent company of R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company; Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company, Inc.; American Snuff Company, LLC; Niconovum USA, Inc.; Niconovum AB; R. J. Reynolds Vapor Company; Lorillard Licensing Company, LLC; and Reynolds Brands, Inc..
Reynolds American Inc. and its affiliated companies is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Our organization offers a level of challenge, responsibility and creativity for motivated employees that stands apart from the crowd.
We are also committed to employing a diverse workforce and valuing different perspectives, experiences and talents to maximize the company's potential for successfully achieving its business objectives.
Only applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact us directly.