Director, Advanced Analytics
About the Job
If you want to make a positive difference and stand out from the crowd, you’ll fit in at The Standard (www.standard.com). Through our retirement plans and insurance products and services, we help people achieve financial well-being and peace of mind. Come join us and share our passion for serving our customers in a positively different way.
As the Director of Advanced Analytics, you’ll be part of a strategic multi-million dollar investment in data and analytics sponsored at the highest level of our organization you will be chartered with leading a team to manage the portfolio of advanced analytics projects. You’ll bring best practices, a track record of fostering partnerships, and leadership that inspires and delivers results. With stakeholder input and IT partner support, you’ll manage projects to inform the enterprise of trends, competitive intelligence, and operational insights based upon sophisticated analytic tools and methodologies in support of a winning strategy in a continually changing business environment. You’ll provide strategic input and thought leadership on large-scale, cross- functional, highly complex projects/business issues, with significant impact and scope. You’ll propose tactical direction to ensure favorable outcome to the organization. You’ll report to the Senior Director of Business Intelligence, who joined the company last year and has quickly established himself as a strategic and credible leader who will set you up for success.
- You’ll build and lead a team of data scientists and develop an information advantage for the Employee Benefits Division utilizing advanced analytical capabilities while working to develop the team’s reputation as highly skilled experts in the area of data science. You’ll establish performance objectives and provides ongoing feedback and coaching ensuring a great working environment and high team morale.
- You’ll partner with internal stakeholders and senior leaders to understand their business and business challenges and identify trends, patterns and develop recommendations. You’ll proactively identify opportunities for advanced analytical capabilities to drive business results.
- You’ll have full ownership of the analytical process and relationship with the business customer: Understand complex business challenges, develop hypotheses, convert into the right analytical problems and solutions, and communicate the results back to business partners to drive effective outcomes. Opportunity areas include loss mitigation, fraud detection, channel and service optimization, operational efficiency and predicting customer value.
- Deliver strong written and verbal communications to influence business partners regarding high-value strategic decisions.
- Direct project plans, timelines, and vendor relationships to ensure projects are delivered with the highest quality, on time and within budget.
- You’ll be innovative and monitor emerging analytical methods, data sources and technology that can impact business results.
- Advanced degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science or other quantitative / statistical disciplines
- A minimum of 5-10 years of relevant work experience in data science
- Five years of experience with a demonstrated and consistent record of leading and developing teams to
- Experience with data mining, machine learning, statistical modeling, and underlying methods and algorithms
- Extensive experience in analyzing large data sets using software such as R and Python
- Working knowledge of visualization tools such Tableau or Microsoft Power BI
- Experience with Microsoft Azure cloud computing platform a plus
- Proven track record of using data to provide actionable and impactful business results
- Demonstrates intellectual curiosity, a passion for data and a results orientation
- Ability to build effective partnerships across all areas of the organization and with colleagues at all levels, from senior leadership to front line
- The ability to influence a variety of stakeholders to drive cultural and organizational change
- Prior experience within the insurance, financial services or healthcare industry preferred
Leadership Competencies You Possess
- Transparent, consistent leader who leads with
- A decisive change agent, but balanced with self-awareness and
- Effective communications skills that instill confidence with internal and external audiences and translate complex concepts into meaningful, actionable information.
- A low-ego, team-oriented and collaborative personality in keeping with the corporate
- An entrepreneurial spirit, focused on and capable of building and growing a sustainable resource for business
- Solutions-oriented mind-set; able to work effectively through complex
- Easily establish yourself as a trusted partner.
- Collaborative; getting energy from working with and leading
Standard Insurance Company, The Standard Life Insurance Company of New York, Standard Retirement Services, Inc., StanCorp Equities, Inc. and StanCorp Investment Advisers, Inc., marketed as The Standard, are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status or any other condition protected by federal, state or local law. The Standard offers a drug and alcohol free work environment where possession, manufacture, transfer, offer, use of or being impaired by an illegal substance while on Standard property, or in other cases which the company believes might affect operations, safety or reputation of the company is prohibited. The Standard requires a criminal background investigation, drug test, employment, education and licensing verification as a condition of employment. All employees of The Standard must be bondable.
For more information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity applicant rights, click here.
Individuals with disabilities who need assistance or accommodation with the application process should contact HR Direct at 971-321-7871. This number is only for the use of individuals with disabilities who need accommodation with the application process. General inquiries about application status will not be addressed.