Veterinary Sciences Technologist
About the Job
Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global biopharmaceutical company whose mission is to discover, develop and deliver innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases.
One shared journey is moving us forward at Bristol-Myers Squibb. Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious disease. Empowered to apply our individual talents and ideas so that we can learn and grow together. Driven to make a difference, from innovative research to hands-on community support. Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Performs routine and some non-routine work required for the care of laboratory animals. Assists in providing health care for laboratory animals and perform various technical procedures as requested.
Provide proper feed and clean caging to laboratory animals and check drinking water system in assigned areas/rooms daily. Accurately complete animal room logs, other forms, and records applicable to position on prescribed schedule.
Monitor environmental parameters, condition of animal rooms and equipment in rooms, and proper functioning of mechanical systems (e.g., HVAC, lighting, automatic drinking water system) in assigned areas/rooms daily. Operate cage washers, autoclaves, and other equipment as assigned. Perform minor repairs to animal caging and equipment
Assist VS or research personnel with handling, restraining, weighing animals, and perform various technical duties in specialized areas such as barrier facilities and breeding colonies. As directed and under the supervision of a veterinarian, assist with administering treatments to animals
Orient and train new VS personnel; assist in periodic retraining of the animal care staff and in SOP preparation, review, and revisions, as required.
May coordinate animal care activities and/or work as a team leader on weekends and holidays.
May review logbooks, files, and records in which notations regarding various animal care and environmental parameters have been entered for accuracy and completeness.
May recommend orders of animal facility supplies and may be responsible for receipt and distribution of items.
- Individual must have a minimum of a high school diploma and AALAS certification at the Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) level including a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience. (Individuals who possess appropriate experience, but do not have required AALAS certification, must obtain Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) certification within 6 months of assignment to this position.)
- Individual will have demonstrated ability to understand and follow SOPs and to perform tasks with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Individual must be able to follow directions, communicate effectively, and work well in a team environment.
- Individual must have demonstrated leadership capabilities including past experience in guiding and instructing others.
- Individual will have demonstrated the physical stamina and dexterity needed to handle laboratory animals and the use of personal protective equipment.