Project Manager, Manufacturing Support
About the Job
At Bristol-Myers Squibb, we believe that together we can make the difference. We want to do this by building professional teams who can create and innovate medicines that benefit doctors and their patients.
Our large-scale biologics manufacturing facility in Devens, Massachusetts, is expanding and there are a number of exciting career opportunities to join Bristol-Myers Squibb, one of the world’s leading BioPharma companies.
We’ve created one of the world’s premier biologics facilities, among the first sites in the industry to have a fully automated, integrated manufacturing control system that enables the plant to run virtually paperless. It is a site that combines biologics development with clinical and commercial manufacturing on a single campus – a true biologics center of excellence for the company where teams are encouraged to closely collaborate. This expansion was designed to support the launch of new medicines by more closely aligning biologics development and manufacturing capabilities. All this goes towards helping create and innovate life-saving medicines that fight serious illnesses.
This position will plan, monitor and execute projects for the clinical/launch manufacturing facility. This position reports to the Associate Director, Manufacturing Support Devens Clinical Manufacturing and has no direct supervisory responsibilities. The position will be responsible for the strategic planning and project management oversight of projects related to transfer and manufacture of drug substance designated for clinical/launch and to support continuous improvement within the manufacturing facility. The position will support advancing the project management capability across site. The successful candidate will utilize project management competencies to support clinical/launch facility projects (e.g., design standard work, create templates, create tools, and build processes). The successful candidate will be a key contributor to a dynamic and highly technical team by setting appropriate objectives and priorities, overcoming obstacles, and delivering results within project timelines and will build and maintain effective collaborations with Manufacturing Operations, Process Development, Quality, Analytical, Procurement, Finance, Tech Services and Supply Chain.
- Develops cross functional project plans to coordinate tech transfer
- Manages project schedules, including reconciling completed/not completed activities and prospectively communicating upcoming activities to project team members
- Aggregates and interprets project information. Presents information to project team leader for the project leader to take action(s) to drive performance of the team
- Documents Actions & Decisions during project team meets to support Project Leader
- Coach project team member(s) on effective project management principles
- Develops project management skill set of the project team members
- Independently leads large cross-functional project(s)
- Frequently interacts with outside customers and functional peer groups across various departments. Interaction normally requires the ability to gain cooperation of others
- Effectively communicates project status, challenges & success, of supported project teams to direct supervisor
- Advances project management capability across site
- Provides leadership, guidance and problem-solving skills to employees either within the department or through project/process coordination
- Influences senior leaders to take action and drives actions to results
- Provides feedback to employees, peers, and senior leaders to drive results aligned with site goals
- Regularly communicates key decisions made and status of activities to supervisor
- Bachelors with ≥ 6 yrs experience as a team member or leader of cross-functional teams working in a manufacturing environment
- Masters with ≥ 4 yrs experience as a team member or leader of cross-functional teams working in a manufacturing environment
- B.S. in science, engineering or similar relevant discipline preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills to effectively support multiple project teams and quickly build trust and credibility
- Ability to self-manage support of multiple project team leaders simultaneously (ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines)
- Ability to influence others in a matrix environment to achieve common site goals
- Strong planning, organizational, and leadership skills, including the ability to motivate the project lead and team to drive the project to successful execution and help resolve conflict.
- Strong problem solving skills, including ability to remove barriers and enable teams to complete their objectives.
- Adaptable to a fast paced and complex business environment
- Effectively facilities meetings involving cross-functional groups
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to vary styles of communication based on the audience
- Demonstrated change management skills and ability to simplify and improve business processes
- Ability to prepare and present regular internal and external project reports for management
- Interest in self-development of advanced project management skills and operational excellence (lean, six sigma, etc)
- Interest in learning Biologics manufacturing and related operations and understanding activities performed within site departments and support groups
- Experience in lean methodology and proven record for driving improvements a plus
- PMP certification a plus
- Biologics experience a plus
Together, we make a difference. Bristol-Myers Squibb is one of the world’s BioPharma leaders, committed to delivering innovative medicines as well as nurturing a culture that’s a springboard for progress. Our success depends on building teams of bold, innovative and passionate employees who will help continue to drive us further forward. No matter the role, we are united by our mission and determined to win this fight. And that makes all the difference. If you want to join us, apply now at www.bms.com/careers.