Dir Advanced Analytics
About the Job
ABOUT THE STANDARD
Our core competency is the onboarding and servicing of group and individual disability, insurance and investment products, providing financial peace of mind to our customers and their families.
Founded in 1906 and branded as the Standard, also known as the Standard Life Insurance Company, a wholly owned privately held subsidiary of StanCorp Financial. We enjoy a strong presence in our local communities where our employees are dedicated to give back to others along with generous support from our parent company, Meiji Yatsuda Insurance Company based in Tokyo, one of the oldest and largest insurers in Japan.
With headquarters located in downtown Portland, Oregon, The Standard employees enjoy beautiful surroundings and great amenities. Our employees work across a multitude of disciplines including, claims, disability and absence management, actuarial, customer service, and core general business disciplines. You'll be working with leaders from additional locations including: Hillsboro, OR, Altavista, VA and White Plains, NY.
There is a sense of excitement within the company as we continue to move to next generation practices to take the business to a new level, continuing to increase our standing as a premier partner for our customers which include individuals and small, mid-size and national accounts.
WHY MAKE THE MOVE TO THE STANDARD?
Because it’s the place you want to be. Where else can you come to work to “set the standard” for the company and the industry and have an opportunity to do more than just challenge your capabilities. What you do makes a difference in people’s lives every day.
And let’s face it, you know what sets you apart; you’re smart, strategic minded, future focused, and of course - you're a data geek. At the Standard, we welcome these attributes and you’ll be supported in the pursuit of excellence and openly given the space and time to cultivate ideas and turn them into amazing results.
If you are passionate about identifying and providing data that drives operational excellence, this role just may be for you.
Like to build things from scratch? This is a new and highly visible role where you will be able to develop your role to support a large key business unit, our Life and Disability Services organization. In your position, you’ll be creating a strategy for integrating and growing the function to ensure we have data analysis capabilities to provide effective insights to inform the business of trends, competitive intelligence and operational insights based upon sophisticated analytical tools and methodologies into our business and processes to help us position ourselves for the future. The missing piece is you, bringing your strategic thinking, expertise, and energy. You’ll find our environment an intellectual and complex operational challenge yet also exciting as you share in the success of our forward moving plans. We foster innovation, build collaboration, and pursue excellence. We are looking to talk to a few strategic analytics leaders who are confident in their abilities and have the breadth of experience needed to take The Standard to the next level.
At The Standard, you’ll experience a very open and welcoming environment with authentic people who are thoughtful and intentional. You’ll find that we’re a very collaborative group when it comes to planning and decision making. You’ll be given the independence to approach your role the best way you think it should be done. Since part of our culture is based on continuous improvement and possibilities, your ideas and insights regarding innovative approaches are expected and encouraged. And we celebrate our successes and humbly acknowledge our missteps, dusting ourselves off to quickly course correct.
As the Director of Advanced Analytics, you’ll provide critical business insights based upon your strong data analytics skills to support Standard’s Disability Services and Life Insurance business. You’ll be spending your efforts relationship building, creating connections, and developing data insights to ensure operational excellence. You’ll identify, assess and propose solutions to individual and systemic challenges and blind spots while always keeping an eye towards our customer experience.
- Your position is a key leadership role, reporting to the VP of Life and Disability Services, providing analytical leadership support for an organization.
- Initially, you’ll be an individual contributor but will be able to grow and lead a small team over the next couple of years to support the needs of the business while evaluating team size needed over time. Once established, you’ll manage a small team of analysts/scientists ensuring advanced predictive analysis to generate business recommendations.
- You’ll build strong credibility and effective and trusting relationships with your peers and other stakeholders to ensure data and analytics needs are met to support the business.
- You’ll serve as a strategic resource and trusted advisor with internal stakeholders, offering thought leadership.
- You'll analyze and validate findings, creating reports, presentations and visualizations.Using your analytical skills, you’ll study trends and provide insightful data to propose areas of needed focus and attention. You’ll use existing as well as identify new data benchmarks, metrics and tools using appropriate key performance indicators to ensure outstanding service delivery.
- You’ll lead and manage advanced analytic projects, data mining and statistical modeling operations to identify underlying trends and patterns to promote informed business decision making.
- You’ll partner with senior leaders and inform them of those trends and patterns including competitive intelligence and operational insights based on sophisticated analytical tools and methodologies.
- You’ll provide strategic input on and thought partnership on large-scale, highly complex projects/business issues, typically with significant scope.
Education: Master's degree in Mathematics, Economics, Statistics or other quantitative field; Ph.D. helpful given quantitative work overseen.
Experience: Minimum 10 years of relevant experience.
- Excellent analytical, quantitative and problem solving skills.
- Expert knowledge of data sources, tools, and business processes, including a sophisticated understanding of cross-functional operations and business drivers.
- Expert knowledge of advanced statistical techniques required.
Professional certification required: none
Standard Insurance Company, The Standard Life Insurance Company of New York, Standard Retirement Services, Inc., StanCorp Equities, Inc. and StanCorp Investment Advisers, Inc., marketed as The Standard, are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status or any other condition protected by federal, state or local law. The Standard offers a drug and alcohol free work environment where possession, manufacture, transfer, offer, use of or being impaired by an illegal substance while on Standard property, or in other cases which the company believes might affect operations, safety or reputation of the company is prohibited. The Standard requires a criminal background investigation, drug test, employment, education and licensing verification as a condition of employment. All employees of The Standard must be bondable.
For more information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity applicant rights, click here.
Individuals with disabilities who need assistance or accommodation with the application process should contact HR Direct at 971-321-7871. This number is only for the use of individuals with disabilities who need accommodation with the application process. General inquiries about application status will not be addressed.