About the Job
If you want to make a positive difference and stand out from the crowd, you’ll fit in at The Standard (www.standard.com). Through our retirement plans and insurance products and services, we help people achieve financial well-being and peace of mind. Come join us and share our passion for serving our customers in a positively different way.
The role of Paralegal is a crucial role in our Legal and Compliance Department. If you enjoy working in a team environment and have an interest in learning insurance transactional work, this could be the position for you!
**Please submit resume and cover letter for consideration**
Assist in-house attorneys in the delivery of legal services by conducting legal research; analyzing issues; complying with legal processes; and assisting with transactional-related projects. Managing Service of Process (SOP) requests such as wage verifications, levies, support orders, authorizations, garnishments and document production requests, preparing Power of Attorney documents and managing bankruptcy-related documents are key responsibilities for this role.
Communicate and interact with persons at all levels of the organization and outside counsel.
Education: Associate’s Degree in Paralegal Studies preferred.
Experience: 2-4 years progressively responsible work experience in a law office/department, or the equivalent combination of education and/or relevant experience. Paralegal certificate preferred.
Skills & Knowledge:
- Working knowledge of simple pleading rules; State and federal civil procedure acts; legal and medical terminology; ancillary insurance operations and products; and document management software.
- Ability to analyze facts and identify relevant legal issues; communicate clearly and concisely in written and oral communication; exercise judgment in completing tasks; and analyze documents and files in support of transactional management and other special projects.
- Works on a wide range of complex assignments that are moderately complex. Often defines procedures on how to complete project work when assigned in the form of objectives. Paralegal II contributes to creation of recommendations for solutions and new procedures.
- Typically receives little instruction on daily work. May require general instructions on new assignments. Paralegal II works independently and often as a facilitator or team leader.
- Communicates and interacts with persons at all levels in the organization, industry and community.
- Self-motivated and detail oriented.
Standard Insurance Company, The Standard Life Insurance Company of New York, Standard Retirement Services, Inc., StanCorp Equities, Inc. and StanCorp Investment Advisers, Inc., marketed as The Standard, are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status or any other condition protected by federal, state or local law. The Standard offers a drug and alcohol free work environment where possession, manufacture, transfer, offer, use of or being impaired by an illegal substance while on Standard property, or in other cases which the company believes might affect operations, safety or reputation of the company is prohibited. The Standard requires a criminal background investigation, drug test, employment, education and licensing verification as a condition of employment. All employees of The Standard must be bondable.
For more information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity applicant rights, click here.
Individuals with disabilities who need assistance or accommodation with the application process should contact HR Direct at 971-321-7871. This number is only for the use of individuals with disabilities who need accommodation with the application process. General inquiries about application status will not be addressed.