Medical Science Liaison (MSL) - Immunology (LA, MS territory)
About the Job
Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global biopharmaceutical company whose mission is to discover, develop and deliver innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases.
One shared journey is moving us forward at Bristol-Myers Squibb. Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious disease. Empowered to apply our individual talents and ideas so that we can learn and grow together. And driven to make a difference, from innovative research to hands-on community support. Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
- The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is responsible for identifying disease and product related medical needs in a defined geography. Primary responsibilities include establishing frequent and timely interactions with Thought Leaders (TL) and other Health Care Providers (HCP) aligned with medical strategies to discuss safe and appropriate use of approved products, and pharmacoeconomic data. MSLs also respond to unsolicited questions on current medical and scientific issues, healthcare advances, treatment trends, and health outcomes measures. TLs may include nationally and regionally recognized scientific and clinical leaders, medical advisors to managed care providers and committees, and HCPs active in addressing patient advocacy issues.
- MSL must demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the assigned disease and therapeutic area(s) and key publications. MSLs possess the ability to translate this information and data into high quality medical dialogue. MSL possess a sophisticated understanding of the pharmaceutical and healthcare industry including commercial, and government payer strategies, and the evolving healthcare delivery models.
- MSL delivers presentations to health care decision makers responding to unsolicited questions using relevant and approved materials.
- MSL may support company initiated trials by interacting with primary investigators, assisting in site identification and screenings, and delivering disease education using approved resources. MSLs may also support data generation activities including participating in reviews of Investigator initiated proposals.
- Other activities may include identification and training of contracted speakers or internal team members if alignment with medical plan and product life cycle needs.
- MSL will identify, collect and communicate insights to address competitive medical information in addition to insights on trends and changes affecting the regulatory and payer environment used to develop medical strategies.
- MSLs fully comply with all company policies and applicable laws, regulations and ethical standards
- As this position requires operation of a Company-provided vehicle, offers of employment are contingent upon the candidate meeting the requirements of “Qualified Driver,” as determined by the Company in its sole discretion, including but not limited to the following\: 1) at least 21 years of age; 2) a driver’s license in good standing issued by your state of residence; and, 3) a driving risk level deemed acceptable by the Company.
· Terminal doctorial degree, MD, PharmD, or PhD, preferred.
· In depth knowledge of a scientific or clinical area, disease area knowledge, including key scientific publications.
· Clinical experience in a specific Disease Area or with a broad medical background.
· Minimum of 4 years working in a clinical or pharmaceutical environment (excludes post doc education).
· Understanding of clinical research principles
· Understanding of the US Healthcare system, the pharmaceutical industry and clinical and health economic practices in the US.
· Ability to work independently
· Travel required, varies by geography
· Position is field based; MSL will be required to live in the territory which they manage or within 50 miles of the territory borders.
- Ability to drive a company-provided car is an essential qualification of this position. Candidates must be able to drive a BMS-provided vehicle between locations (often a great distances apart), and arrive at each location ready and able to enthusiastically and efficiently demonstrate an applied knowledge of pertinent health care industry trends. Candidates must possess a high level of ethics, integrity and responsible and safe driving history.