Project Manager - Biologics Manufacturing Support
About the Job
At Bristol-Myers Squibb, we believe that together we can make the difference. We want to do this by building professional teams who can create and innovate medicines that benefit doctors and their patients.
Our large-scale biologics manufacturing facility in Devens, Massachusetts, is expanding and there are a number of exciting career opportunities to join Bristol-Myers Squibb, one of the world’s leading BioPharma companies.
We’ve created one of the world’s premier biologics facilities, among the first sites in the industry to have a fully automated, integrated manufacturing control system that enables the plant to run virtually paperless. It is a site that combines biologics development with clinical and commercial manufacturing on a single campus – a true biologics center of excellence for the company where teams are encouraged to closely collaborate. This expansion was designed to support the launch of new medicines by more closely aligning biologics development and manufacturing capabilities. All this goes towards helping create and innovate life-saving medicines that fight serious illnesses.
Provide project management support to project team leaders for predictable and on-time delivery of site projects and initiatives
Major Duties and Responsibilities\:
- Independently supports and potentially leads cross-functional projects. Projects supported/led are typically more complex in nature (either technical nature of project or the amount of cross-functional coordination required).
- Develops Work Breakdown Structures (WBS) and project plans with project team and project leader and manages WBS in Project Portfolio Management (PPM) MS-Project Server system. Sequences WBS activities, facilities discussion with project team to estimate activity resources and estimate activity durations. Works with project teams to ensure appropriate resources are assigned to the project.
- Manages project schedules (including in PPM), including reconciling completed/not completed activities and prospectively communicating upcoming activities to project team members
- Aggregates and interprets project information, presenting alternatives and recommendations to project lead and sponsor when appropriate.
- Ensures project teams anticipate risks and recognize potential conflicts to initiatives. Proactively develop solutions and alternate plans to initiatives. Appropriately escalates concerns to project lead or recommend escalation to project sponsor. Influences project lead/sponsor to take action and drives actions to results. Provide additional guidance to teams as needed.
- Supports project lead with team meetings (including leading team meetings as needed or agreed to). Schedules meetings for project team, prepares meeting materials with/for lead as requested, facilitates team meetings as requested, documents actions & decisions during project team meetings.
- Prepares materials for Devens project steering committee meeting and/or for Biologics Operations Steering Committee (projects that are reviewed outside Devens) and other non-PMO specific meetings as needed (ex. Quarterly Business Review, site Sr. Leader visits, Devens Townhall, etc.).
- Coaches project team lead and members (sponsor when needed) on effective project management principles to enhance team performance
- Provides leadership, guidance, and problem-solving skills to employees either within the department or through project/process coordination
- Frequently interacts with outside customers and functional peer groups across various departments. Interaction normally requires the ability to gain cooperation of others. May also interact with vendors outside BMS.
- Advances project management capability across the site
- Effectively & regularly communicates project status, challenges, & success to Site PMO Lead.
- Supports other job responsibilities assigned / aligned to with site PMO lead (ex. manage centralized resource model for PMO team, maintain lessons learned database, provide project mgmt training, maintain project management skills matrix)
- Supports other site efforts as assigned / aligned to with site PMO lead (ex. Business Continuity lead for site, Lean/Six Sigma activities, etc.)
Knowledge and Skill\:
- Bachelors with ≥ 8 yrs experience as a team member or leader of cross-functional teams working in a manufacturing environment. B.S. in science, engineering or similar relevant discipline preferred
- Masters with ≥ 6 yrs experience as a team member or leader of cross-functional teams working in a manufacturing environment
- Strong competence in project management tools and systems. Program / portfolio management experience a plus.
- Very strong interpersonal skills to effectively support multiple project teams and quickly build trust and credibility
- Demonstrated ability to influence others in a matrix environment to achieve site/organizational goals on complex projects
- Very strong planning, organizational, and leadership skills, including the ability to motivate the project lead and team to drive the project to successful execution and help resolve conflict.
- Demonstrated strong problem solving skills, including ability to remove barriers and enable teams to complete their objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to self-manage support of multiple project team leaders simultaneously (ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines)
- Adaptable to a fast paced, complex, and constantly changing business environment. In some cases help drive the changing business environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with ability to vary styles of communication based on the audience. Engages audience and re-adjusts communication style based on subtle cues.
- Clearly and concisely frames discussion topics to senior leaders to drive decisions
- Effectively facilities meetings involving cross-functional groups
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and present regular internal and external project reports for management
- Demonstrated strong change management skills and ability to simplify and improve business processes
- Interest in self-development of advanced project management skills and operational excellence (lean, six sigma, etc)
- Interest in learning Biologics manufacturing and related operations and understanding activities performed within site departments and support groups
- Experience in lean methodology and proven record for driving improvements a plus
- PMP certification preferred
- Biologics experience a plus
- Work across site departments, including but not limited to\: Quality, Supply Chain, Finance, Manufacturing Sciences & Technology, Manufacturing, Technical Services, HR, Operational Excellence, Environmental Health & Safety, Automation & Information Technology, and Procurement
- Office space
- Working Alone / Teamwork / Leading teams
- Working with / around others
- < 5% travel
- Identify and recommend actions to project leader to achieve on-time delivery of projects
- Recommend actions to direct manager to achieve on-time delivery of projects, improve site project management capability, and enhance the value the PMO provides to the site
- Coaching on interaction with project leaders from direct supervisor
- Coaching on project management principles from direct supervisor
- Direction on a project specific basis from project leader and sponsor
- May manage project planner/s or contractor/s
Together, we make a difference. Bristol-Myers Squibb is one of the world’s BioPharma leaders, committed to delivering innovative medicines as well as nurturing a culture that’s a springboard for progress. Our success depends on building teams of bold, innovative and passionate employees who will help continue to drive us further forward. No matter the role, we are united by our mission and determined to win this fight. And that makes all the difference. If you want to join us, apply now at www.bms.com/careers.