Employee Relations Lead
About the Job
This position oversees all employee relations HR functions to balance external leading market practices with internal business needs, and is responsible for development of the short and long-term strategy and approach for Employee Relations (ER) globally. The leader interacts regularly with company executives across functions and deals in highly confidential information. This position participates in, conducts and leads Employee Relations related investigations, provides insights and options regarding grievance management, performance improvement, behaviour, team dynamics and effectiveness and when necessary disciplinary actions.
This position leads a team that currently supports and focuses on the efficient and fair management of workforce performance and employee relations issues within the US and Puerto Rico. The team provides discrete and timely consultative services focused on the interpretation and consistent application of BMS’s employment policies; efficiently and effectively manages employment related issues affecting performance and mitigating risk for the organization; incorporates lessons learned and feedback heard to ensure this is a highly connected and transparent organization of partners for the business, HR and our workforce; and recommends proactive actions to mitigate risk prior to the need for interventions.
This position is also responsible for the ongoing learning / development of the HR Advisors in our Capability Centers.
Near term focus is on stabilizing the service delivered to the US and Puerto Rico as well as developing the strategy, operating model and implementation plan for delivery of Employee Relations service globally.
Detailed Position Responsibilities
- Service Line Lead for Employee Relations\:
- Ownership of tools and global process and aaccountable to develop and maintain process documentation
- Point of contact with HR Centers of Expertise (CoE), Legal, and Compliance for alignment on new initiatives
- Escalation point
- Ownership of relationships with third party providers, if applicable
- Act as a change agent in Employee Relations strategy globally, driving transparency, ownership and accountability for Employee Relations
- Immediate responsibility for Employee Relations service delivery in the United States and Puerto Rico and transformational responsibility as global strategy is developed
- Lead a team of investigators that are responsible for the intake, situation assessment, investigation, fact finding and policy interpretation associated with employment policy investigations
- Ensure proper and consistent transparency with stakeholders and partnership with Compliance and Legal through the resolution of the recommended actions
- Build a consultative service for managers, offering direction and advice through the Performance Improvement Plan process
- Provide guidance on employment policies, procedures and best practices, including the tools needed to manage any performance, discipline, and grievance issues
- Responsible for ongoing capability of the HR Advisors in the Capability Centers regarding providing advice and coaching to managers and employees on employment related policies, beyond ER, including the tools required to manage employee performance, as well as basic inquires such as managing an employee on leave of absence, flexible work arrangements, building skills, etc.
- Partner with the Service Management team in People Services to provide performance metrics, and trending of issues
- Benchmark against best in class tools & methods, and share best practice examples across key BMS process stakeholders
- Consult with HR CoEs, Legal, Compliance, and applicable management teams on proactive solutions identified from data, trends and issue root causes; recommend changes in policy, training, manager capability as needed
- Track resolutions of investigations to highlight best practices and continuous improvement opportunities and ensure consistency
- Due to the confidential nature of this work, respect for confidentiality is of critical importance. Ability to discuss controversial topics with senior executive leadership and obtain their buy-in is essential for success in this position.
- Responsible for delivery of annual financial budget and shared accountability for delivery of overall People Services budget
- Member of People Services Leadership team `
- 10+ years progressive HR experience
- Minimum 5 years HR employee relations experience required
- Knowledge of HR principles, theories and concepts and all related local and federal laws and regulations
- Proven change agent with strong project management, coordination, change management skills
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills with a consultative approach.
- Superior personal integrity and ethics, including an exceptional sense of discretion; strong interpersonal skills
- Strong coaching, conflict resolution, relationship and team building skills; demonstrated ability to objectively coach employees and management through complex, difficult, and emotional issues
- Demonstrated ability to manage and influence virtually
- Experienced people manager with the ability to manage a team of professionals, maintaining engagement, development and delivery of all accountabilities
- Ability to be successful in a matrix organization
- Ability to work seamlessly across cultures and build relationships in an evolving organization undergoing transformation
- Self-starter, entrepreneurial thinking, able to work with minimal supervision
- Lean Six Sigma/continuous improvement mindset, strong analytical and critical thinking skills a plus
- Active affiliation with appropriate human resources networks, organizations, and ongoing community involvement preferred.
- Experience with both non-unionized and unionized workforces, as well as works councils, preferred
- Customer service experience, preferably in an HR shared services environment
Minimum Requirement / Knowledge Desired
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Human Resources, Business, Management, Organization Development, or related field.
- JD strongly preferred
- SPHR or SHRM-SP desired
- Consulting skills/ impact and influence abilities/ strong stakeholder management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong analytical, problem-solving, interpersonal, planning, organizational, and project management skills