Scientist IV - Product Development Research
About the Job
Reynolds American Incorporated (NYSE: RAI) is positively transforming the tobacco industry. We’re a family of companies that strives for success in everything we do. The future inspires us because our people are igniting the breakthroughs that are redefining the ways adult tobacco consumers enjoy tobacco in the 21st century.
When other companies talk about growth, they only talk about size. At RAI, we focus on the growth of our people. We take pride in each other’s growth and well-being throughout our careers. We invest in your career and total well-being because we know our companies succeed when our people thrive.
At the RAI companies you’ll have the opportunity to work on iconic brands and revolutionary products by collaborating with visionary, principled and passionate people every day.
This position is with RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company—the second-largest U.S. tobacco company. The company's brands include Newport, Camel and Pall Mall.
R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company is seeking a research and development scientist to support the development of products and processes consistent with RJRT’s vision of transforming tobacco and its strategic market objectives: growth, innovation, and harm reduction platforms.
Position reports to the Senior Manager, Product Research and performs work focused on product research and development. The scientist develops a clear understanding of consumer needs and converts those needs into product concepts, technical product specifications, innovations, and/or product renovations. The scientist will work on both traditional and non-traditional tobacco research programs and projects requiring creative thinking, independent research, and interaction with other R&D scientists, product developers, toxicologists, external academic collaborators, vendors, and research contractors.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Design, develop and understand product processes in laboratory and pilot plant, leading to scale-up.
- Drive experiments to understand fermentation biology, chemistry, and molecular biology.
- Leverage innovative technologies and materials that present opportunities to ensure our products meet future product standards
- Translate consumer needs and market trends into strategic and tactical product innovation and/or renovation projects.
- Perform basic economic evaluations on ingredients, materials, suppliers, and products.
- Design and execute experiments, analyze and interpret data to make sound technical recommendations.
- Develop complete product attribute specifications for new products.
- Participate as an active member of cross-functional business development teams.
MS/PhD in Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Microbiology, Molecular Biology or other science related disciplines; 3+ years of relevant tobacco industry experience
- Experience operating in a FDA or government regulated environment preferred
- Strong computer skills, with proficiency in MS Office software including Excel, Word, Power Point and Outlook
- Strong project management skills
- Strong multi-tasking, organizational, and time management skills
- Critical Thinking skills
- Strong communication skills (oral and written)
- The ability and interest to work in laboratory, pilot plant and manufacturing scale environments
- Knowledgeable of GLP, GMP and lab safety
- Partner externally to source ingredients and/or materials and leverage vendor expertise in ingredient/material functionality
- Strong work ethic, self-motivated, drive for results
- Flexible and adaptable to change
- Willing to grow within this specific role
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Targeted Annual Bonus
- Relocation assistance available for those who qualify.
Our company offers very competitive compensation and benefit plans, including:
- 401(k) plan that offers opportunity to save on pre- and post-tax basis up to 50 percent of eligible compensation. Company matches 100 percent of employee pre-tax/Roth (401k) contributions up to six percent
- Comprehensive health- and welfare-benefits package
- Eleven paid company holidays annually, plus a generous paid vacation plan based on length of service
- Company-paid sick and personal days, funeral leave and jury duty leave
- Confidential personal financial counseling service
- On-site health clinics and fitness centers
- A matching grants program that enables employees to direct and double their donations to qualifying charitable organizations of their choice
- Health-care advocacy service
- Volunteer service opportunities
- Federal credit union membership through Allegacy Federal Credit Union
- Extensive training opportunities
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION:
Reynolds American Inc. (NYSE: RAI) is the parent company of R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company; American Snuff Company, LLC; Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company, Inc.; Niconovum USA, Inc.; Niconovum AB; and R.J. Reynolds Vapor Company.
Reynolds American Inc. and its affiliated companies is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Our organization offers a level of challenge, responsibility and creativity for motivated employees that stands apart from the crowd.
We are also committed to employing a diverse workforce and valuing different perspectives, experiences and talents to maximize the company's potential for successfully achieving its business objectives.
Only applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact us directly.