Sr. Product Development Technician (Flavors)
About the Job
Reynolds American Incorporated (NYSE: RAI) is positively transforming the tobacco industry. We’re a family of companies that strives for success in everything we do. The future inspires us because our people are igniting the breakthroughs that are redefining the ways adult tobacco consumers enjoy tobacco in the 21st century.
When other companies talk about growth, they only talk about size. At RAI, we focus on the growth of our people. We take pride in each other’s growth and well-being throughout our careers. We invest in your career and total well-being because we know our companies succeed when our people thrive.
At the RAI companies you’ll have the opportunity to work on iconic brands and revolutionary products by collaborating with visionary, principled and passionate people every day.
This position is with RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company—the second-largest U.S. tobacco company. The company's brands include Newport, Camel and Pall Mall.
Senior Technician will perform routine and complex assignments to support the Flavor Development Team within R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. He or She will work with members of the Flavor Development Team and with external stakeholders on project assignments. Cross functional work may include interactions with Product Development, Product Integrity, Procurement, Quality, and Manufacturing functional areas.
The incumbent must exhibit strong technical leadership skills with a strong attention to teamwork in support of research and flavor development.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities include:
- Perform technical assignments to support departmental project initiatives, including
- Material and ingredient qualification
- Manufacturing specifications development
- Laboratory organization and inventory maintenance
- Departmental process and procedural documentation
- Laboratory sample submission and data summarization
- Participate in sensory evaluation of modern smoke free and cigarette tobacco products
- Complete assignments in a timely manner with skill, accuracy, and appropriate technical understanding
- Prioritize work assignments in alignment with business needs
- Develop flavor profiles for new and existing tobacco products
- Collaborate internally with other Flavorists
Required Knowledge and Experience:
- This position requires use of tobacco products, including cigarettes, to assess product sensory characteristics
- Ability to function as an individual contributor in a team environment, with minimal guidance, while effectively managing competing priorities
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- Analytical and intuitive problem solving skills. Ability to recognize errors, determine root cause, and propose corrective action
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and ability to learn specialized computer software
- BA or BS in technical degree with relevant work experience
- Food Science study/work experience
The Ideal Candidate will possess:
- Previous flavor related work experience within the flavor industry or a position in a food, beverage, or tobacco company
- Excellent project management, time management and team collaboration skills
- Competitive Annual Salary
- Targeted Annual Bonus
- Relocation assistance available for those who qualify.
Our company offers very competitive compensation and benefit plans, including:
- 401(k) plan that offers opportunity to save on pre- and post-tax basis up to 50 percent of eligible compensation. Company matches 100 percent of employee pre-tax/Roth (401k) contributions up to six percent
- Comprehensive health- and welfare-benefits package
- Eleven paid company holidays annually, plus a generous paid vacation plan based on length of service
- Company-paid sick and personal days, funeral leave and jury duty leave
- Confidential personal financial counseling service
- On-site health clinics and fitness centers
- A matching grants program that enables employees to direct and double their donations to qualifying charitable organizations of their choice
- Health-care advocacy service
- Volunteer service opportunities
- Federal credit union membership through Allegacy Federal Credit Union
- Extensive training opportunities
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION:
Reynolds American Inc. (NYSE: RAI) is the parent company of R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company; American Snuff Company, LLC; Santa Fe Natural Tobacco Company, Inc.; Niconovum USA, Inc.; Niconovum AB; and R.J. Reynolds Vapor Company.
Reynolds American Inc. and its affiliated companies is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Our organization offers a level of challenge, responsibility and creativity for motivated employees that stands apart from the crowd.
We are also committed to employing a diverse workforce and valuing different perspectives, experiences and talents to maximize the company's potential for successfully achieving its business objectives.
Only applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact us directly.