Dir Learning and Development
About the Job
Do you have a solid understanding of adult learning theory and methodology? Are you an exceptional leader? Do you have a demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with your customers, get to know where they are going from a strategic perspective, and use that information to inform a strategy for how to best meet their needs? If so, then we want to talk to you!
The successful candidate will be responsible for partnering with leaders across various departments within our Employee Benefits Division to understand their short term and long range learning needs. They will lead the Learning & Development Team to recommend, design, and deliver exceptional solutions that drive organizational and individual performance.
The Director of Learning and Development is also responsible for the overall quality and measurability of talent development services provided to the Employee Benefits Division. They oversee project scoping and needs analysis and ensure that instructional objectives meet the criteria for learning. They also have a key role in ensuring that learning and development success measures tied to business objectives are met. They will promote a culture of continuous improvement within their team.
- Stakeholder Engagement:
- Builds strong, collaborative relationships with leaders at various levels and proactively works to define a strategy to resolve workplace performance challenges and opportunities. Implements activities which ensure that structured and ongoing conversations with leaders are in place to gather input, direction and determine investment for future learning. Works with stakeholders and team members to determine emerging learning and development needs.
- Oversees staff who charter new learning and development efforts, and define and develop solutions. Ensures that learning can be measured and is linked to business goals.
- Exhibits the qualities of an exceptional leader, ensuring a positive and engaging work environment for the entire team.
- Provides ongoing coaching for team members and fosters their skill development.
- Demonstrates the ability to inspire the team, with positive actions and words, and inspires positive employee morale. Selects, develops and evaluates staff to ensure the efficient operation of the department.
- Has advanced knowledge in adult learning theory and methodology.
- Critically reviews and analyzes current training programs and delivery methods in order to ensure adherence with best-practices.
- Maintains a thorough understanding of compliance requirements and ensures that the Learning and Development department’s practices are in alignment with compliance needs, and enable timely tracking and reporting.
- Drives continuous improvement, using a Lean management system with key metrics and visual management. Encourages the team to identify problems and participate in regular problem solving activities. Identifies gaps in service provided, process and performance.
- EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree in Organizational Development, Human Resources or a related field, or equivalent work experience preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 10 years of experience in Organizational Development, Learning & Development or a related field preferred. Minimum 5 years of leadership experience preferred. 7 to 10 years of progressive leadership experience in a business environment, including training and education; demonstrated success managing change initiatives and corporate training programs; or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Experience with Lean management system.
- Exhibits qualities of an exceptional leader.
- Advanced knowledge in adult learning theory and methodology.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Exceptional written and oral communication skills. Ability to communicate with and influence people at multiple organizational levels. Ability to successfully implement change. Strong self-awareness and sense of accountability.
- Action oriented and ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent problem-solving, decision-making and critical thinking skills.
- Experience working with a Learning Management System (LMS) and other current learning and development software and tools.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications to include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint and Outlook.
Standard Insurance Company, The Standard Life Insurance Company of New York, Standard Retirement Services, Inc., StanCorp Equities, Inc. and StanCorp Investment Advisers, Inc., marketed as The Standard, are Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or veteran status or any other condition protected by federal, state or local law. The Standard offers a drug and alcohol free work environment where possession, manufacture, transfer, offer, use of or being impaired by an illegal substance while on Standard property, or in other cases which the company believes might affect operations, safety or reputation of the company is prohibited. The Standard requires a criminal background investigation, drug test, employment, education and licensing verification as a condition of employment. All employees of The Standard must be bondable.
For more information regarding your Equal Employment Opportunity applicant rights, click here.
Individuals with disabilities who need assistance or accommodation with the application process should contact HR Direct at 971-321-7871. This number is only for the use of individuals with disabilities who need accommodation with the application process. General inquiries about application status will not be addressed.