Senior Storage & Backup Engineer
About the Job
Ingram Micro helps businesses fully realize the promise of technology.TM No other company delivers the full spectrum of global technology and supply chain services to businesses around the world. Ingram Micro’s global infrastructure and deep expertise in technology solutions, supply chain, cloud and mobility enable its business partners to operate efficiently and successfully in the markets they serve. Combined with distinct market insights and the trust and dependability generated from decades of strong partner relationships, Ingram Micro stands apart as the global technology services provider for the future.
Why is Ingram Micro the workplace of choice?
- We drive results through creativity and innovation.
- We are a winning team where people are valued for their differences and collaborate to achieve unparalleled success.
- It’s here where you will learn new skills, are encouraged to share ideas and see your contributions at work.
- We thrive on change and use challenges as opportunities to grow our business and our careers.
- We provide our customers and vendor partners outstanding execution and value every day.
Ingram Micro’s global information systems team is looking for a talented and forward thinking Sr. Storage and Backup Engineer to support Ingram Micro’s global enterprise level storage and backup infrastructure. As a senior member on the storage and backup team, the ideal candidate is proficient in troubleshooting, designing, implementing and upgrading of various enterprise SAN, storage and backup infrastructure. Individuals must also have experience in working with other related data center technologies like Windows, Linux, UNIX operating systems, networking, etc.
This candidate will also work with other Infrastructure engineers, architecture, security, developers and project managers to implement solutions and engage with the business as needed to provide storage and backup support. Part of this role is to be a key escalation point for other support teams as needed.
It is a key requirement that this candidate has strong interpersonal skills and has a positive attitude as he/she will have to collaborate with different teams for capacity planning and to contribute to the overall strategy in developing ways to improve the ongoing day to day operations as well as contributing to the future state of the storage and backup infrastructure.
- Provide 24/7 storage and backup infrastructure support through on-call rotation to ensure that customer service levels are met.
- Planning, design, and implementation of enterprise class storage and backup infrastructure for mission critical applications in a complex global environment. Includes developing and implementing maintenance plans and activities for capacity increases, firmware upgrades and other related maintenance.
- Troubleshooting – assist cross functional teams and internal customers to diagnose, solve and provide root cause analysis for storage and backup infrastructure issues.
- Proactive monitoring and capacity planning of storage and backup environment. Includes proactively evaluating and analyzing performance, issues and metrics in order to provide recommendations for service improvements within the storage and backup infrastructure.
- Research new technologies and trends in the storage, backup and data center area to identify methods to make continuous improvements in the storage and backup service offerings. Occasionally give presentations to other leaders as required.
- Work on cross functional project teams, and develop solutions to optimize applications and improve the overall end user experience. Plan, coordinate, structure, and execute complex tasks that involve multiple teams for day to day operations and project work.
- Create operational and engineering documentation for current and future state of the SAN, storage and backup environment.
- Follow ITSM processes and adhere to proper escalation and change control procedures
- Degree in computer science or equivalent job-related experience.
- 8+ years of proven hands on experience with storage and backup technologies in a complex global environment with experience as L4 support via on-call rotation.
- 8+ years of experience in design, implementation, and maintenance of large-scale storage and backup infrastructure.
- 8+ years of proven hands on experience with design, configuration and troubleshooting various SAN technologies such as Cisco MDS and Brocade.
- Recent extensive hands on experience with EMC storage technologies (VMAX, VPLEX, RPA and UNITY) this includes experience with storage migrations using various methods like SRDF, VPLEX, host based, etc.
- Recent hands on experience with other storage array vendors (IBM, Hitachi etc.)
- Experience in designing, implementing and operating backup solutions with Data Domain, tape, and backup software (NetBackup, VEEAM, CommVault, etc.).
- Experience with key storage tools, methodologies and protocols including Unisphere, RecoverPoint, snapshots, clones, Fiber Channel, NFS, CIFS, thin provisioning and data migrations.
- Extensive experience in performance tuning and optimizing enterprise storage solutions.
- Deep understanding of Network Attached Storage (NAS) technologies.
- Deep understanding of operational challenges and dependencies as they relate to infrastructure decisions.
- Experience with IT Service Management framework and/or ITIL concepts and practices.
- Documentation skills to include creating and updating detailed storage environment design, installation, and support documentation.
Additional Skills Preferred:
- Experience with server OS administration (Linux, UNIX, ESX and/or Windows)
- Experience with server technologies (Cisco, IBM, HP, and Dell)
- Experience with virtualization technologies (VMware, Microsoft HyperV etc.)
- Experience with networking technologies (Cisco)
- Familiarity with application software (SAP, Tibco, Oracle, etc.)
- Experience with high availability technologies (Veritas Infoscale, IBM Power HA, and/or Microsoft clustering)
Ingram Micro Inc. is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other protected category under applicable law.