Associate Scientist / Engineer - MS&T Downstream
Bristol-Myers Squibb Devens, MA
About the Job
At Bristol-Myers Squibb, we believe that together we can make the difference. We want to do this by building professional teams who can create and innovate medicines that benefit doctors and their patients.
Our large-scale biologics manufacturing facility in Devens, Massachusetts, is expanding and there are a number of exciting career opportunities to join Bristol-Myers Squibb, one of the world’s leading BioPharma companies.
We’ve created one of the world’s premier biologics facilities, among the first sites in the industry to have a fully automated, integrated manufacturing control system that enables the plant to run virtually paperless. It is a site that combines biologics development with clinical and commercial manufacturing on a single campus – a true biologics center of excellence for the company where teams are encouraged to closely collaborate. This expansion was designed to support the launch of new medicines by more closely aligning biologics development and manufacturing capabilities. All this goes towards helping create and innovate life-saving medicines that fight serious illnesses.
The Associate Scientist / Engineer in the Manufacturing Sciences & Technology Downstream Laboratory supports the late-stage and commercial manufacturing of biologics drug substance in the areas of purification and primary recovery. The successful candidate will be a key contributor to a highly technical, diverse, and collaborative team of scientists and engineers. MS&T scientists and engineers contribute to cross-functional teams to meet highly visible business objectives. This position offers the opportunity to interface with Manufacturing, Manufacturing Support, Process Development, Quality Assurance, Analytical, and Global Regulatory Sciences groups.
• Design and execute technical protocols to identify the root of cause of manufacturing deviations, implement CAPAs, and drive process improvements through the use of laboratory and pilot scale-down models and the analysis of manufacturing data in protein chromatography, viral inactivation, viral filtration, ultrafiltration/diafiltration, membrane filtration, depth filtration, and centrifugation.
• Contribute to the characterization, technology transfer, and validation of existing and new processes for large-scale manufacturing at internal and external sites.
• Operate and maintain laboratory equipment.
• Evaluate new process technologies.
• Document experimental results, verify and interpret data with respect to the laboratory protocol and the manufacturing process, and prepare summary reports.
• Appropriate GLP/cGMP procedures must be followed.Qualification:
• MSc or BSc in Chemical/Biochemical Engineering or related field with 0–4 or 2–6 years, respectively, of relevant industrial or academic experience.
• Knowledge of protein purification, protein stability, and demonstrated experimental skills for laboratory work are required.
• Experience with AKTA purification and ultrafiltration/diafiltration operations is helpful.
• Critical qualities include a high degree of initiative, good verbal and written communication skills, strong scientific skills, and the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
Together, we make a difference. Bristol-Myers Squibb is one of the world’s BioPharma leaders, committed to delivering innovative medicines as well as nurturing a culture that’s a springboard for progress. Our success depends on building teams of bold, innovative and passionate employees who will help continue to drive us further forward. No matter the role, we are united by our mission and determined to win this fight. And that makes all the difference. If you want to join us, apply now at www.bms.com/careers.