Lead, Oncology Strategic Options and Assessment
About the Job
Description: The Oncology SOA lead is responsible for continuously improving the quality of development oncology investment decisions, primarily focused on the design and initiation of clinical trials and trade-offs within the development portfolio, but covering other decision types at times as well. This is accomplished through ensuring decision makers are presented with a set of innovative choices, each optimized for the value they bring to the enterprise, according to accurate forecasts of the underlying components of value, and each assessed for sensitivity to changes in value drivers. They are also responsible for sharing insights and driving decisions across the development space.
Key Responsibilities and Major Duties
- Support fast and efficient decision-making by leading integration of data and subjective assessments from across the enterprise to characterize value of decision alternatives.
- Coordinate regular reviews, bringing insights to help drive strategy and execution in a therapeutic area, including representatives of EDTs/FDTs, Clinical ops, R&D Finance, R&D Ops, R&D CI, Forecasting, BIA (PM&B, RWD, CTA), and Access.
- Lead focused discussion on portfolio-level and assets, including status updates (dashboard review), issues and key findings, and action plans.
- Liaise with senior leaders to tailor decision analysis offerings to their needs, while ensuring objectivity and consistency across the enterprise.
- Provide expert neutral facilitation to senior leaders for complex issues.
- Play a lead role in oncology portfolio processes such as strategic planning, R&D budgeting, and long-term financial planning.
- Develop interaction model with related groups CI, DCG, Analytics Reporting & Forecasting, finance, and coordinate activities and best practices with related groups.
- Ensure an environment of inclusion and diversity is fostered and maintained within PDI.
- MBA or PhD in a physical or natural science
- 10 or more years’ experience in the pharmaceutical industry in decision analysis/portfolio analysis.
- 5 or more years’ experience supervising decision analysts and portfolio analysts.
- Deep understanding of the oncology science and market place
- A strategic mindset to set the vision for the team based on stakeholder input and personal assessment
- Experience leading decision analysis (directly supporting senior leaders) for oncology, at least one other therapeutic area, and for an enterprise portfolio.
- History of success at supporting value-driven and data-driven R&D decision making.
- Expertise with Monte Carlo simulation and other simulation/predictive analytic modeling approaches, single asset and portfolio valuation modeling, strategy development, and scenario planning.
- Excellence in meeting facilitation and in both written and oral communication
- Established record of talent development.
- Expertise developing probabilities of success, including leading enterprise-wide reviews of probabilities for consistency.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with reports, peers and executives, influence, negotiate, and drive organizational engagement.
- Experience in leading and contributing to efforts to develop or revamp processes – with an eye to avoiding unnecessary bureaucracy.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt quickly to the changing needs of the organization.
- Excel (including advanced proficiency in VBA)
- Sophisticated predictive analytic modeling software and methodologies