Sr Technology Consultant
About the Job
Ingram Micro helps businesses fully realize the promise of technology.TM No other company delivers the full spectrum of global technology and supply chain services to businesses around the world. Ingram Micro’s global infrastructure and deep expertise in technology solutions, supply chain, cloud and mobility enable its business partners to operate efficiently and successfully in the markets they serve. Combined with distinct market insights and the trust and dependability generated from decades of strong partner relationships, Ingram Micro stands apart as the global technology services provider for the future.
The Sr. Technology Consultan’s primary responsibility is to provide pre-sales engineering, training and education to customers with a goal of growing their business with Ingram at a faster rate. Build reseller and vendor relationships and gain trusted status for transparent collaboration and planning of business needs. Deeply and comprehensively educate partners on best in class IT solutions to facilitate the building of practices in areas of focus. Raise the technical proficiency of the customer to win more business through sound product and technical focus and market relevance. Understands the partner sales organization and identifies and engages key stakeholders.
Proactively present information on new and emerging products, technologies and services to help reseller partners to capitalize on new market opportunities and increase end-user reach and loyalty. Effectively articulates benefits of technologies, products and services over “speeds and feeds.”
Drives more agnostic and consultative partner relationships and results. Takes a deeper and more comprehensive approach to partner development. Collaborates cross-functionally to incorporate other business units / vendors / Ingram services into their partner enablement plans. Seen as a trusted advisor to management and business unit leadership. Assists in the creation and execution of Ingram’s go-to-market strategy around their core area of expertise. Strengthens the organization’s deliverables by playing a significant role in the on-boarding and development of the team. Works with management to set team goals consistent with BU objectives. Demonstrates clear value to Ingram Micro’s internal and strategic initiatives with substantiated results.
Plays a significant role consulting internally for the company. Is proficient and influential in strategic company initiatives. Communicates comfortably at the executive level.
Executes MBOs on a quarterly basis that are tightly aligned to strategic vendor management and sales objectives.
This position can be field or campus based with responsibility for face to face customer interaction potentially on a national scale. Travel up to 70% including International travel
Section 3: Responsibilities, Supporting Actions & End-Results
Guidelines: List the essential responsibilities, functions and/or activities, provide the supporting actions to describe how the work will be accomplished and provide the desired end results. List the responsibilities in order of importance and the estimated percentage of time for the responsibility (no one responsibility should be greater than 60% of time or less than 10%). The most important responsibility is not necessarily the one where the most amount of time is spent.
Major Responsibility: Partner Education
- Educate partners on new technologies, vendor roll-outs, emerging and mature market trends
- Provide SME level knowledge of vendor products with a goal to create awareness for partner sales and technical staff
- Product and solution demo to generate leads and/or progress or close opportunities
- Professional and charismatic presence to address sales and technical audiences
- Ability to develop or modify content consistent with audience level/needs - tells a story
- Integrates the Ingram emerging vendor offering into solutions focused enablement tactics
- Customer has deep and thorough knowledge of vendor and core technologies
- Customer operates more efficiently and effectively
- Customer is more relevant to the market and their end customers
- Customer is more relevant and valuable to vendor partners
- Customer is more competitive and competent at winning new opportunities
Major Responsibility: Drive Partner Technical Proficiency and Readiness
- Facilitate Advanced Solutions practice development workshops where applicable
- Advances partner business with comprehensive knowledge/approach with the goal to address partners' full solution opportunity
- Disseminate key vendor product knowledge, capabilities and functionality with a goal to support partner technical objectives
- Clearly articulates Ingram Micro value message
- Promotes Solution Center capabilities
- Promote awareness of Professional and Training Services relevant to area of SME focus
- Provide high level guidance on solution design and architecture services to reseller partner and prospective end users.
- Educate partner sales and SE teams how to be more proficient at recognizing and addressing sales opportunities.
- Actively lead technical planning sessions with Partner SE’s
- Educate customer on industry best practices
- Take a solution focused approach in disseminating key vendor product knowledge, capabilities and functionality with a goal to support partner technical objectives
- Co-present with reseller partner solution design and architecture offerings to prospective end users.
- Customer gains confidence in blended approach to selling core and emerging technology solutions vs. products
- Customer has command of practice subject matter, specialist, leader
- Customer is more proficient and prepared to cross sell and up sell
- Customer closes more and bigger deals, competes on a broader scale
- Customer is engaging and adding Services to their offering, better margin profile
Major Responsibility: Provide Face to Face Consultative Business and Technical Enablement Services to Customer
- Consult with customers on how to grow by enabling them to get deeper and more skilled within existing practice or modeling new practice areas
- Assess partners’ business objectives and provide detailed gap analysis
- Actively lead technical planning sessions with Partner management and SE's through programs like FTC Select
- Begins taking a broader more comprehensive approach to reseller partner enablement
- Identifies reseller partner strategic needs and begins addressing or calls on senior level peers to facilitate
- Creates simple partner roadmaps, milestones and checkpoints for vendor program progression or certification levels
- Build and manage strong customer partner relationships
- Serve as technical POC and advisor to the customer
- Promotes and manages program like FTC Select, white glove services
- More formal deliverables are documented and provided to the partner
- Strategically engaged partners grow their business at a faster rate
- Relationships are created and maintained
- Ingram becomes trusted advisors to the reseller partner, views Ingram more strategically and broadly
- Opportunity Discovery/Identification and Closure rates higher
Major Responsibility: Strategic Planning and Execution
- Engages Divisional and BU leadership to develop and execute key initiatives
- Participate and contribute to Ingram's marketing initiatives
- Work with management to create quarterly team objectives to drive behavior and performance
- Participates or involved with SD&E team initiatives at Ingram
- Having insight into Divisional, BU, and marketing strategy results in a better aligned, more engaged associate.
- More opportunities to realize the full potential and value of technical associates w/ insight to the business
- Ingram has accelerated and more accurate GTM options
- Associates gain exposure to business planning processes
Major Responsibility: Team Leadership and Development
- Work with reporting manager or director to strengthen organizational deliverables
- Coach and guide others to enhance organizational excellence
- Motivate associates to achieve higher levels of support and results
- Influential in developing associate success through early adoption and change management
- Lead cross functional Advanced Practice Development Team
- Accelerated and more relevant associate development
- More consistent customer experience
- Early adoption and buy-in by junior level associates
Section 4: Decision Making Authority Level
Guidelines: Describe the authority held by the position by listing the main decisions that the position is free to make and explain the decisions that depend on the position’s advice.
Decisions free to make:
- Partner Engagement Level – a blend of independent and collaborative decisions
- Territory Management – a blend of independent and collaborative decisions
- Travel Management – independent with management oversight/approval
- Personal Development - independent with management oversight/approval
- Objective and Goal setting for team - independent with management oversight/approval
- Minor Day to Day Business Decisions – independent with management oversight/approval
Explain the decisions that depend on position’s advice:
- Partner Strategy/Planning
- Prioritization and urgency of partner engagement
- Meeting key performance metrics
- Customer Experience
- Effective T&E budget utilization
Example decisions that depend on position’s advice:
- Working collaboratively with sales counterparts, management, vendors and partners to deliver on quotas
- Coordination of partner facing meetings w/ or w/o sales counterparts or vendors (2 or 4 legged visits)
- Degree and level of personal development necessary to remain relevant to customers and market
Section 5: Scope/Dimensions
Guidelines: List the main quantitative measures that define the size and scope of the position (headcount, budget, profit dollar target).
- Headcount is proportional to the needs of the associated Ingram Business unit, partner density in a given territory is considered (ratio of FTC to managed partners). Headcount can be determined by the requirements of a vendor in the case where the vendor funds the position(s) with “right size” oversight from Ingram management.
- Travel expenses are determined by the BU, Division, or vendor budget if position is vendor funded
- Financial metrics for the position are top line revenue. Consideration for the Business Unit goals other than top line revenue are given
Section 6: Job Qualifications and Educational Requirement
Guidelines: Provide the education, experience, skills and competencies necessary to perform the position.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/EXPERIENCES:
- Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree and minimum of 12 years directly-related experience
- Or high school grad (or equivalent) with a minimum of 14 years directly-related experience
- Or 8 years Ingram experience in a technical capacity.
- And relevant professional level industry certifications
*Years’ experience to include technical channel development. Reseller education and enablement In Mid-range & Enterprise technology solutions for data center, communications, networking, security or Point-of-Sale.
- Knowledge of: IT industry and channel related to technologies such as Network Security, High End Storage, Network Switching/Routing, Virtualization, and/or Wireless Networking, Expert understanding of Ingram Micro value added services such as Cloud, pro and Training Services, Technical Support, Solutions Center, Integration Services and all resources available
- Skill in:
- Extensive technical product line knowledge
- Excellent training skills
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Public speaking skills
- Competitive industry technical knowledge
- Ability to:
- Work cross-functionally
- Manage time
- Work toward common goals
- Work independently as well as in group/team settings
Section 7: IM Competencies
Guidelines: Provide the IM Competencies necessary to perform the position.
- Collaboration and Influence
- Results Oriented
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Customer Mindset top of Mind
- Team Leadership
- Strategic and Global Mindset
- Change Agent
Section 8: Other Information
Guidelines: Indicate any information that would be helpful in understanding the nature, scope or purpose of the position, or any unusual or hazardous conditions associated with performing the position.
IT is a complex market where change is rapid. Manufacturers, Distributors, Resellers, and End Customers are becoming more dependent upon the technical resource to facilitate the discovery, design, architecture and closing of deals that address line of business needs. To be competitive in this revolutionary market all entities must remain, accurate, agile, and relevant throughout the supply chain. The Field Technical Consultant role provides a level of service that allows all to compete.
Ingram Micro Inc. is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other protected category under applicable law.