Senior Research Investigator - Specialty Analytical Sciences
About the Job
Squibb is a global biopharmaceutical company whose mission is to discover,
develop and deliver innovative medicines that help patients prevail over
This laboratory-focused, hands-on scientist position will be responsible for developing new, innovative analytical solutions which allow methods to be rapidly developed and executed in support of an increasingly complex portfolio of small molecules and milla-molecular (ADCs, peptides, oligonucleotides) drug candidates.
- Partners with organic chemists and chemical engineers to provide analytical methods which provide key insights in evaluating new approaches for route invention for projects within the Portfolio.
- Partners with Analytical Project Leaders to provide fit-for-purpose analytical methods to help solve challenging problems encountered to support route selection and process optimization studies conducted by chemists and chemical engineers.
- Accountable for developing new, innovative approaches which provide for efficient, automated analyses of large sample sets to help characterize chemical processes.
- Accountable for evolving existing automated instrumentation platforms to ensure compatibility and business continuity with BMS IT strategic decisions on computer hardware and software platforms.
- Partners with other Analytical Functions within CSD to evolve, integrate and optimize analytical methods and methodologies for organic chemists and chemical engineers to create a world-class analytical community.
Specific accountabilities and responsibilities include the following\:
- Establishes effective technical collaborations with organic chemists and chemical engineers to invent new synthetic routes for projects within the BMS Portfolio. Provide analytical expertise and innovative support to the Reaction Sciences group. Accountable for providing fit-for-purpose analytical methods which provide knowledge and facilitate rapid problem solving to challenges encountered in these studies.
- Effectively cooperates with Analytical Project Leaders to address challenges with developing appropriate analytical control strategies for projects. Provide hands-on analytical support for tools such as screening stations to provide fit-for-purpose analytical methods with a relentless focus on speed-to-patient.
- Responsible for developing commercially-available instrument systems, including hardware and software, which provide for efficient, automated analyses. Responsible for optimizing and evolving existing systems, as well as developing new instrumentation approaches.
- Stewards and maintains existing method screening instrumentation, and ensures it is compatible with company standards for computer hardware and software platforms. Evolve user interfaces for these instruments as needed without disruption of support.
- Partners with other Analytical Functions within CSD to evolve, integrate and optimize analytical support for organic chemists and chemical engineers to create a world-class analytical function.
- Partner with other subject matter experts to continually develop knowledge and capability amongst CSD organic chemists and chemical engineers to perform routine separations analyses across CSD.
- Ph.D. or Masters in analytical or organic chemistry is required. Practical experience directly relevant to the role is critical to success and minimum degree requirements change relative to experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in analytical problem solving in the pharmaceutical industry. Experience in supporting API process development highly preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise in chromatographic separations and experience with automating commercially available chromatographic instrumentation to provide for rapid, fit-for-purpose analytical support a must. Experience with Empower data systems highly desired. Experience with milla-molecular molecules a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to safety.
- Demonstrated ability to accept and adapt to change and proactively manage ambiguity and risk and make decisions in the absence of complete data.
- Excellent interpersonal, collaborative, team building, and communication skills. Demonstrated performance against cooperation principles and enterprise mindset.